Monday, June 23, 2008

Haggis

Our exploration has turned towards the land of the Scots, such being the fickle winds of fate I suppose, and trying to learn new things. Not easy for this old dog I can tell yeh true.

So here is what I'm learning about Haggis. Its all on the web, so it must be true...

http://www.electricscotland.com/haggis/haggis1.html

http://haggishunt.scotsman.com/haggisclopedia.cfm First page lists some common myths about Haggis, a couple Haggis cams and more. It seems to contradict the first page listed in saying that they, the haggis, have 4 legs and are non aquatic; perhapes there is more than one species of haggis, that ould explain things nicely...natural selection acounting for regional variations.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usfeatures/haggis/wildhaggis.html
This describes the Haggi I saw while in Scotland, and matches up to the storied ai was told in the Pub in Castle Douglas and at Threve Castle where I stayed.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usfeatures/haggis/wildhaggis.html
I didn't know of this sport for it was not the season when I visited but...


Bob

6 comments:

tk42 said...

Gee, why do I get the feeling that this is Brian's blog?

A. L. said...

I remember when I first went to the UK, my guidebook had an entire page devoted to explaining to the hapless reader that the haggis was in fact NOT a small flightless bird (they make fun of tourists there, you see), but instead was some ungodly "culinary" concoction made from a sheep's stomach.

When I finally got up to Scotland, also discovered they sell haggis-in-a-can, and to top even that, vegetarian haggis-in-a-can!

Bob Erle said...

Vegitarian Haggis? Ewwwwwwww

No, I am sure that the entire nation of Scotland (no doubt backed up by the Royal Navy) would not be guilty of trying to play a private practical joke on their tourists. ;)

So it must be true!

A. L. said...

Ahhh, I love having the opportunity to turn someone's stomach with the thought of veggie haggis. While we're at it, how about the thought of delectable dried grasshoppers flavored with a little lime and chili salt? Yum!

(Very SRC appropriate, right?)

I do love the haggis hunt page with its webcams...

Tom said...

AS some one once said to me, nothing wrong with haggis that a great deal of single malt would cure.

Is it true that haggis are killed by playing the pipes?

Scotland (and) Ireland forever!

Tom

The EEB said...

Haggis is one of those foods I tried once and feel no temptation to eat again. Ever.

Other once-was-enough foods: broiled limberger cheese (our house didn't smell right for days), raw oysters (ok--I tried them twice, just to make sure), chocolate covered ants, braised kidneys.

I have become a big fan of soft shelled crabs as long as I don't think about the eyes. So even a girl from Ohio can learn to live a little.