Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Green Meat

Since I've completed the web 2.0 exploration, I feel use my blog for my things, I won't get all political unless you hit me with a dose of politics, in which case I'll tell you what I really think (remember the song "Oh Well" by Fleetwood Mac?) .

Went to Coeplands the other night and got my usual penthouse salad with grilled chicken and bacon on it. Wife ordered the same (no meat on the salad) and we each got one of their mini platters. Its was a kind of hamburger steak with sauteed onipons and it just wasn't that good. A little under cooked and just didn't taste all that good.

I flashed back to the meny which proudly proclaims that their beef is 100% Corn Fed. Euuuuuuuuwwwww Cattle are Rumens, they eat grass, Nature made them that way. They are very good at turning grass into two things, Fertilizer and Meat.

I realize that many people are disgusted at what happens on a feed lot & what has to be done to raise a steer to eating size in 18 months. So disgusted, that many go Veg. Which is fine if thats for you. Its not for me, however, so I choose to buy meat that is correctly raised, Naturally. It cost a little more, but not a lot. Even Giant has their "organic" chicken and Beef. (Though how "organic" can it be if its shipped cross country and soaked in diesel fuel to bring it here?)

So, here is a link to a list of Maryland farms that raise their meat animals properly.
http://www.eatwild.com/products/maryland.html

3 comments:

Tom said...

Thanks for the list. I want my meat the same way.

A. L. said...

A couple interesting tidbits about corn- versus grass-fed beef:

(1) Corn causes marbling of the meat; i.e., fat growth within the muscle. Which is why Americans love corn-fed beef so; it's decadent and flavorful, etc etc etc.

(2) Apparently, all the links between eating beef and things like heart disease and high cholesterol are actually specific to corn-fed beef. If you eat grass-fed, fewer negative consequences health-wise.

....But I'm still going to stay vegetarian. Ew.

Bob Erle said...

GO Veg! AL, if its right for you, then more power to ya.

I like meat and eating too much to give it up. Having the 'beetis, meat is one of the few things that I love that I can still eat in quantity.

I do like a salad, like the penthouse salad at Copelands, much to your chagrin, however, I put grilled chicken and bacon on it. Oh man thats good! Filling too.

After reading the Omnivores Delimma, though I now avoid corn fed beef as much as possible. How beef cattle are raised by industrial agriculture is both inhumain, unworthy and dishonorable.

I feel that in taking an animals life, we are taking away its Gift; we are obliged to respect that and by appreciating the fact that the animals Gift now sustains us. Equally farm raised animals should be allowed to grow at their own pace and not be force fed or unnecessairly dosed with medications required by an artificial diet.

Ok Ok I got on muh high horse :) I'll get down now and go back under my rock.

-bob