Over the last couple years my wife has pretty well convinced me that going green is the way to go. Understand this has nothing to do with politics. There are many who would call me a "right wing nut job" . Think whatch ya want, but like the song says "don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to."
Counties all over the country are signing Green pacts and requiring new commercial construction to build green. Some use LEED standards others don't. I have to admit, I do not know what AA's standards are. I hope they are coming along but I suspect and fear that the powers the wannabe are overly concerned with cost. IE they would not want to spend the extra 300k on a geothermal system even thought it'll pay for itself w/in 5 or 6 years at todays fuel prices.
Such shortsighted thinking is what got us here in the first place.
I have three green links listed so far, I intend to add others. If you'd like to suggest something, send it to me and I'll think on it. I do plan to find a reliable article on what we can all do in our homes. This stuff works, wife and I have done enough to have reduced our electrical consumption 400Kw hours over a year ago (Chew on that BGE!) We don't really feel like we've done anything...but then thats how the best diets work...right? :)
I think we need to do green things simply because we can. The Earths resources are finite, we need to plan ahead and do what we can do NOW and not wait for a miracle solution. There isn't one cause for our current problems, who would be foolish enough to think there is one solution.
I'd really like to see the system simply decide that we will build LEED standard buildings, period. and do it. If we won't lead, who will? Clearly many local gvts are getting the message, but there should be more, too many are playing wait and see, this is unacceptable.
BTW, Doesn't he drive a glacier melting Pathfinder...yes, tho its no longer a daily driver, its there to work and play. I keep it well tuned and maintain it to a high degree so its effecient as I can make it be.
Later!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks for the green links. We should all do our part for the environment. If only my washer would break I could get a new efficient one. My mother saved 40,000 gallons of water in 6 months when she switched. She does lots of laundry.
I know of one nonprofit agency partly funded by the county that is hoping to use geothermal energy in its new building. The location is perfect, because there are no woods nearby. Apparently you have to be cautious digging down for geothermal in wooded areas.
Post a Comment